I said that I would never make my own dishwashing detergent but, as I sit here, living and breathing, I LIED! Yep, I took the big plunge this past weekend and decided to make my own dishwashing detergent, I make my own laundry detergent so, why not, right? I have tried other recipes before, many years ago, but without much success and feeling pretty annoyed with the whole process. So shortly there after, I gave up.
Recently, I started adding up how much we spend on dishwashing detergent alone and the amount was just too much for me. I am not cheap by all means, but I definitely want to get the best for my dollar. I realized, that we weren’t getting the quality for the amount of money we were spending on dishwashing detergent anyway so, why not try it again and find the right recipe this time. All the while, save some dough in the process.
So for the last few weeks, I have been experimenting and I have finally settled on a homemade dishwashing detergent I LOVE! I run my dishwasher daily, some days twice a day and this recipe has not failed me yet.
Is It Totally Green & Natural?
Although all of the products in this recipe are not considered “green”, here’s the way I look at it:
- less packaging equals less chemicals
- when I make my own cleaning products I know every ingredient that goes into them
- savings is a huge plus
I personally feel the “green” revolution has its place but, I also know the “scare tactic” is there and can scare the crap out of anyone and everyone if you listen too carefully. So here is my advice, do what is best for your family. Use ingredients that you know are safe for your family. Example: One of my kids has asthma so, we try very hard to not use homemade cleaning products that have Borax in the recipe. Borax has been linked to respiratory problems. So there you have it, my advice for what it’s worth! 🙂
So, let’s get to the recipe at hand now…..
How I Made a Homemade Dishwashing Detergent That Actually Works!
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup Washing Soda (You can also find this in Walmart by the clothes detergent)
- 1 cup epsom salt
- 1/3 cup Lemi Shine (You can also find this in Walmart by the dishwasher detergent)
- 15-20 drops lemon essential oil (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir until well combined. That’s it, easy peasy!
- The essential oil used is completely optional. I just wanted to kick up the lemon fresh scent a bit!
How to Use in Your Dishwasher
- When you add the powder to your dishwasher, fill the compartment completely.
- I also like to include a 1/2 cup of vinegar in a dirty cup on the top rack for an added rinse aid.
- For the dishes that may need an added boost, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of baking soda in the very bottom of your dishwasher. Works every time!
That’s it! It is so easy, you will be wishing you had been doing this for years. I know I do! My pocketbook is happier for sure!
Until next time….
Want to learn more about essential oils? Essential oils are a great addition to your healthy lifestyle. I would love to share what essential oils have done for my family’s life. Let’s chat! Go HERE so we can set up a time to chat!
- Post may contain affiliate links. By clicking on the affiliate links you are helping support my family and this blog. Thank you for clicking and buying through our links! You are truly a blessing!